Hey folks today’s post is something different, I decided not to do an investing post. Today’s post is going to be about something that happened to me recently and I thought I would share it with you. I’m sure it’s happened to everyone, and I’m sure we all handle it differently. I applied for a job. If you follow me on Twitter you already know the result of my application.
My Job And The Job I Applied To
I currently work as a security guard and I am assigned to a local manufacturing company (won’t mention the name) that makes plastic that goes into pretty much everything planes, buses, phones, cars etc… Now the job I applied for was with the company that we provide security for. So they are familiar with me and I with them. The position was for an operating technician.
Applying to work for this company is a little crazy and over the top in my opinion, but who am I to argue with it. So let me show you the process.
- July 15th sent in my cover letter and resume.
- July 19th I am am invited to do the aptitude test on July 29th.
- July 29th write the aptitude test.
- August 4th was sent an email saying I passed the test and I am invited to a phone interview on Aug 15th.
- August 15th I have a phone interview.
- Aug 29th I am sent an email saying I was successful and I am invited for an in person interview for Sept 6th.
- Sept 6th I have an in person interview with three interviewers.
- Sept 8th I am sent an email saying I was successful again and have been invited for a final interview on Sept 12th.
- Sept 12th I have my 2nd in person interview with three interviewers (with big boss).
- Sept 15th I am sent an email saying I would not be moving forward in the hiring process. 😦
As you can see it was a very long process in my opinion. It took two months exact for me. If I was successful it would have been three months.
I should mention that this was the fifth time I have applied to work for this company. This is also the furthest I have ever made it in the process, I made it to the final 16.
So upon seeing the email that stated “Thank you for your interest in the Operating Technician position, unfortunately you will not be moving forward in the hiring process. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.” It hurt quite a bit as I have wanted to work for the company for quite awhile now. Mostly because of the great pay and benefits they offer.
Also knowing I would have to go to work that night at the factory and knowing they didn’t select me was very tough. Thankfully the workers there and my wonderful followers on Twitter were very supportive.
How I Dealt With The Rejection
For a couple of days I was sad and moped around the house. Upon reflection on what happened I then chose to look at it in a positive light. As mentioned above this was the fifth time I have applied and the furthest I got in the process. The first two times I applied I didn’t hear back from the company. Then the next two times I was invited to do the aptitude test but didn’t make it past that. So I can look back and say that I am headed in the right direction.
Also I took the step of phoning the company and asked them why I wasn’t selected. After calling them I now have a better understanding of what they were looking for and why I didn’t get selected.
So to sum up how I have dealt and am dealing with the rejection I decided to take a positive outlook on their decision, although I am sad, I took the step of calling them and now I have a better understanding of why I wasn’t selected. I can now look to the future and try to see what else is out there for me.
How do you deal with rejection? Please feel free to let me know in the comment section.
Thank you for reading this post I appreciate your support.